Eight Hours at the Clinic

Friday, October 22, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised when I got to my room on the ward and saw two beds … yes believe it, semi-private. My roommate was a lung cancer patient who was also there on a study drug. The nurse said, you will be here the longest … you get the bed closest to the window. Oh my, that was music to my ears. Being up so early in the morning, I was feeling wiped already so now the thought of crawling into a bed with a warm blanket was simply divine. 

Anyways, once we all got organized, the nurse took eight vials of blood through my PICC line. I was pretty excited about that because my hand was still badly bruised from my visit to the lab last Friday. She checked my bp and then gave me my first four tablets of the trial drug Brivanib Alaninate. I had blood drawn three more times throughout the day, along with having my bp checked. 

I was so comfy in bed that I skipped breakfast and just watched DVDs and checked email. As lunch approached, I decided it was time to get up and find some food. As I got up and walked down the hall to the cafeteria, I sure felt woozy, like I had a couple of drinks. 

At the end of the day, I was sent home with a log book and a three week supply of Brivanib. They want me to take it once a day, everyday at exactly the same time. I’ve settled on 8:30 in the morning and they can be taken with or without food. Because of the clinical trial the nurse warned me about taking any other drugs and to consult her first. She suggested if I do need to see a doctor, that I bring my clinical trial consent form with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment