A Full Day at the Clinic

Saturday, October 16, 2010

It was seven hours at the clinic yesterday starting at 9:00. First off I saw the research nurse to sign the trial chemo consent form. We chatted for a while and then she gave me a requisition for blood work and heart tests. Come and talk to me when you have a break between appointments she said. Next I went for my CT scan. First thing, change into a gown, get an IV in and have a two liter contrast cocktail. 45 minutes later, I was laying down getting scanned. 20 minutes later I was back to my street clothes.

Next it was off to get my blood work done. They also needed a urine sample and did my Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG). Now I had some time. I went back and found the research nurse. We found an empty room where she reviewed my test results and asked me some health questions including how I’ve been feeling, what medication I’m on, including vitamins and such. She took my blood pressure and asked if I had any questions. I asked if I should get a flu shot … she checked my white blood cell count and gave me the thumbs up.

After that I slipped over to the cafeteria and a bit of lunch. This was the first time I ate today because I had to fast for the CT scan. I had some time and decided to go to my Echocardiogram appointment early. I felt I had been waiting too long and was wondering why I wasn’t being called when all of a sudden it hit me; I should be in X-ray instead Nuclear Medicine. 

Fly over to X-ray … to … we were looking for you. Argg! I changed back into a gown and had my Echocardiogram. So now I am running behind schedule. Change back into my street clothes and run back over to Nuclear Medicine for my radioisotope bone scan injection. Fortunately, they used the IV line inserted earlier for the other yummy imaging stuff. She asked did you want to wait here for the stuff to circulate or leave and come back? I said I need to go over to Daycare and have my PICC line redressed. Then it was 45 minutes on the table for the bone scan. 

It’s now kissing four o’clock …. and I’m thinking that I definitely need a couple of aspirin when I get home. I’ll get all the test results this coming Wednesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment