Zofran not Compazine

Monday, August 27, 2007

So here is some real advice for others who find themselves in chemotherapy.
As I've mentioned on this blog, I was pretty sick last weekend. the symptoms I had -- restless legs, nausea, motion sickness, fatigue -- were likely an afterthought of my chemo regimen, but also brought on by the anti-nausea pills prescribed me.
initially the docs gave me 10 MG tablets of Prochlorperazine, a generic drug for Compazine. Following my lousy weekend, I had chemo last Tuesday. When I checked in, the nurses asked me how I was feeling and I was honest. I told them about the weekend, the sickness and asked if there was something they could do. Apparently the things I described matched the known side effects of compazine and its generics. They summoned the on-call oncologist (say that ten times fast), who suggested a different anti-nausea drug. Of course the one they suggested couldn't be obtained because my health insurance company wouldn't approve it. After some choice words with those involved, i was given 8 MG tablets of Ondansetron, a generic drug for Zofran. While I've still got a slight sense of dizziness and the drug has affected my breathing (I can't draw as deep a breath as normal unless I concentrated on it), I haven't been sick like i was that first weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment