A Cancer Top-Ten List (minus six)

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Since I'm not making it to this weekend's F**K Yeah fest in Echo Park (and apparently neither is Dillinger 4), I've thinking about a list of songs to accompany my chemotherapy. besides, it seems top ten lists and blogs are synonymous.
so here's a list of four songs. i obviously need to come up with more. maybe you can help. the songs are all upbeat, if not aggressive, rock tunes. but any addition need not be rock. I'm still trying to figure out a jarocho song for the list. Lyrically represented are themes of hope and self-determination.
so, in no particular order:

1) "Search and Destroy" from 1973's Raw Power by Iggy and the Stooges.
Tell yourself "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm" and try to not feel strong. The second (and third) verse opens "look out honey 'cause I'm using technology." -- that's right cancer; prayers and chemicals are coming your way.
I think the phrase search and destroy pretty much sums up the scorched earth technique that is chemotherapy.

2) "Attitude" from 1983's Rock for Light by Bad Brains
These are all the words in the song:
"don't care what they may say/we got that attitude/don't care what they may do/we got that attitude/Hey/we got the PMA."
PMA stands for Positive Mental Attitude.
the song is just barely over one minute long.
they don't come any punker than bad brains.

3) "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" from 1986's The Queen is Dead by the Smiths
Of course Morrissey makes any musical list of mine. Despite a chorus the ponders a horrific automobile accident (or two), this song has always inspired me. The final coda from which the title is taken is as upbeat as pop lyrics come.

4) "the Black and The Red" by One Reason
I don't know much about this band, but Scott included this song on a mix CD he sent me. the first verse, about a half-drunk phone call to a friend in the middle of the night, just about sums up our friendship. but the fierce determinism in the simple, bellowed phrase "this life is what you make it" is infectious.

I'll add more as I think up new songs. feel free to add yourself. just no maudlin tunes. I have no interest in self-pity, in pop music or cancer treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment