Clinical Trial Onc Meeting

Saturday, September 11, 2010

A few weeks ago my regular Onc said we’ve run out of conventional chemotherapy's for me. I pretty well knew I wasn’t done yet. I still feel pretty strong and want to keep up the fight as best I can. So I had asked him to look into clinical trials for me.

So yesterday I had my first appointment with my new clinical trials Onc. He seems like a nice guy and gave me a lot of information in a short amount of time. To help me out, he gave me a 20 page consent form that has most of everything I need to know. The name of the trial is... A Randomized Discontinuations Study of Brivanib alaninate (BMS-582664) versus Placebo in Subjects with Advance Tumours). Yuk huh! What it is … Brivanib is an oral chemotherapy and I’m to take one pill everyday while on the trial. A few of the many known possible side effects are high blood pressure, blood clots, nausea, diarrhea, headache, and fatigue.

The Onc asked me to take a week to think about it. If I choose to participate, I will then have a battery of tests to verify my eligibility for the trial. These tests include an echo-cardiogram, ECG and tons of blood work. I think he mentioned needing a tumor sample too. More yuk.

If everything tested comes back satisfactory, I will be accepted and begin the trial.

Big yayyy.

No comments:

Post a Comment