My 10 Year Cancerversary

Sunday, August 1, 2010

I was first diagnosed with breast cancer in July of 2000. I don’t have an exact date to celebrate because I’ve really tried to forget it all back then. My mammograms have always been in June so by the time I get the results and scans done, it’s usually sometime in July that I get the official word. So long story short … I’ve had cancer 10 years with 2 reoccurrences and the latest being metastatic.

It’s been quite the ride and I’ve gotten to know many brave and courageous warriors along the way. I’m sorry to say too many have passed on. Even my doctor that diagnosed me in 2000 fought her short battle with colon cancer and lost. It’s not fair and it’s not right, as if that makes any difference. We lose so many people to this awful disease. 

I’ve had many ups and downs but I still feel lucky that 10 years later I am here talking about my 10 year cancerversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment