No News is No News

Friday, July 27, 2007

No word back on my CT Scan. Whats that mean -- I don't know. Is it a good sign? I suppose. I mean, if things were really bad, like if the nurses looked at the images and said "oh my god," then I'd have heard from somebody by now. Does that mean everything is fine? I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. Besides, I see my oncologist on Tuesday. and I'm sure he'll say something again about my cancer being a difficult case for him.
People call and ask all the time -- how are you feeling, how did the tests go -- that sort of thing. and I appreciate it. It reminds me I'm not alone and for all my friends inquiries and all my family's questions, I'm grateful. but i don't have the answer people want. I don't have the answer I want. that's why I had the CT scan -- because my blood tests didn't yield any definitive results.
back when I covered crime for the Salinas Californian, every morning I made calls to all the local law enforcement agencies and fire departments. my conversations went like this (and my friend Nadia used to do a great impression): "Morning (insert official title and name here). anything new to report from last night or this morning?" my question was usually followed by small talk, some sort of insult directed towards "the media" and ultimately a "no, nothing to report," to which I respond: "No news is good news, right."
then we'd agree on something. I'd hang up and go down the list of people to call.
but today no news is just that -- no news.

No comments:

Post a Comment