"Mine are Brass"

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I came across a t-shirt in the gift shop at the cancer center today. the t-shirt was the only item for sale that referenced my cancer. And it was a subtle reference. "Mine are Brass." it made me smile and laugh. Like I was in on a inside joke. And for a brief moment i contemplated purchasing it. But i made the decision to not get a prosthetic testicle. so i don't want folks to think otherwise.
I understand why someone would want a prosthetic "nut." a few friends even suggested I get one. but that's not me. honestly, i don't think there are that many people, outside of the medical profession, who will be taking a look down there anyway. And you know what, if it bothers someone that I've only got one nut, then that person doesn't need to be in my life.
But the t-shirt brings me to two separate thoughts: the first being that there is a gift shop at the cancer center. The second being that, once again, I found little that specifically addressed my cancer.
Who would've thought there would be a gift shop at a cancer center. What's for sale at the cancer shop, you ask. Well, the first thing you'll notice is a basket of those cheap plastic bracelets that have become popular lately. It's at the counter and they're unavoidable as you enter or leave. The stores sells more than a dozen of different colors with different messages. Each bracelet represents one cancer or another: prostate, lung, skin, colon, breast, liver, etc. I searched but found no testicular cancer.
I also noticed the shop seemed to mostly cater to women -- there were dresses, wigs, bras, hats, and shampoos for those losing their hair. I'd say women cancer "apparel" took up about three quarters of the shop.
I found lollipops that help settle a nauseated stomach. I can understand how those are helpful. A woman asked for those as I was leaving. They come in all sorts of flavors.
There were t-shirts with slogans of hope and promise.
There was also an irreverent one -- "cancer sucks." I've thought about buying that one too -- but I can't escape an underlying sense of victimization to that one.
i found a handful of books: cancer survivor testimonials, cancer diets and medical explanations about what's happening to our bodies. Most of the literature addressed the more common cancers: prostate, lung and breast. Again, nothing on testicular cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment