Breast Cancer Yoga
Pose of the Month - October 2012
Arm Under Chest
A really great way to relieve your shoulder tension and increase Range of Motion for shoulder joints (frozen shoulder) associated with breast cancer recovery is with a chest extension inflection or better known in the yoga world as a heart opening flowing restorative yoga pose. With this wonderful yoga pose you will open up the heart, fill the lungs from the bottom up, and relieve shoulder tension.
|Arm Under Chest Yoga Pose|
Promote lymph circulation around axilla
Helps heal scarring muscles and added tightness
Increases internal rotation and shoulder mobility
Strengthens scapula stabilizing muscle
Opens and lift chest
Increases ROM of shoulder joints - frozen shoulder
Increases internal rotation and shoulder mobility.
Releases shoulder tension that rounds your shoulders and binds your upper arm
|Begin In A Partial Recline|
- Begin on your back with knees bent in PARTIAL RECLINE. A neck roll or pillow can be used for added comfort.
- Lift hips up, slide right arm, palm down underneath lower back so you can see finger tips on left side. STOP IF YOU FEEL PAIN. Lower hips down and extend legs.
- Relax - breathe into the right side of upper chest until you feel a release in shoulder muscles. Once the shoulder relaxes experiment sliding hand up your back towards shoulder blades.
- INHALE, left arm up and overhead for bigger additional stretch to breast region.
- Flow arm back up and down. When ready hold pose for 3/5 breaths.
- EXHALE lower arm back down, lift hips up and release arm from underneath.
- Repeat on other arm.
Breast Cancer Yoga offers healthy lifestyle tools for breast cancer prevention and recovery with therapeutic yoga poses, breathing exercises that bringing together the mind, body, and spirit.
By: Diana Ross, E-RYT 500
Visit: Breast Cancer Yoga
Watch FREE Yoga Videos