Sleep (adapted from “Brain Rules” by John Medina; resources at end of blog for both 'Exercise' & 'Sleep')
Michael Sieverts is a brain cancer survivor since 2000. He is the instructor for Cancer Support Community’s qigong classes in the parks. Roxbury Park classes meet every Tuesday & Thursday from 10:30a.m. to 12 noon and at Clover Park every Monday and Friday from 9:30 to 11:00a.m. Free to all those affected by cancer. Call 310-314-2555 for more information.
● Go to bed at a regular time, preferably before 11pm.
● Avoid stimulating activity for the few hours before bed, prepare.
● Avoid eating before going to bed.
● Don’t watch television, or work on a computer in bed.
● Use relaxation techniques to help yourself fall asleep.
● Use the bedroom only for sleeping and sex, not for eating or working.
● Keep the bedroom dark—light interferes with the functioning of your pineal gland.
● If you are occasionally unable to sleep, don’t stress about it, get up for a little while and do something else, preferably not too stimulating.
● If you feel drowsy, be extremely careful, you literally could fall asleep in a heartbeat—do not drive!
● If you’re having regular trouble sleeping, see a specialist.
Reading List and Web Resources:
The Way of Energy: Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength with Chi Kung Exercise (A Gaia Original) by Kam Chuen Lam
The Promise of Sleep: A Pioneer in Sleep Medicine Explores the Vital Connection Between Health, Happiness, and a Good Night's Sleepby William C. Dement and Christopher Vaughan
STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT INSTALLMENT FROM MICHAEL:
NUTRITION (adapted from “Food Rules” by Michael Pollan and Maira Kalman)
Having difficulty sleeping? Try one of these relaxing classes at Cancer Support Community. All classes are at no cost to those with cancer and their families/support.
1)'Meditation' every Thursday from 6 - 6:45pm with Malcolm Schultz, LMFT; 2) 'Mindfulness' from 11:30a.m. to 1:00p.m. once a month on Monday (date varies check calendar) with Lisa LaCorte-Kring, LCSW; 3) Relaxation/Visualization every Wednesday from 6:00 to 6:45pm with Christel Trink; and 4) 'Mindfulness Series' with Lisa LaCorte-Kring, LCSW offered throughout the year--check calendar or call 310-314-2555 for information.
And exercise classes: 1)'Core Strength' every Wednesday from 6:15 - 7:00pm with Eileen Johnson, PT; 2) 'Feldenkrais Method' every Wednesday from 1:30 to 2:30p.m. with Marci Spiegler, MS, GCFP; 3) 'Move to Heal Dance Class' every Monday from 6:00 to 7:00pm with Eva Wieland; and 4) 'Pilates: Return to Health' every Tuesday from 3:45 - 4:45pm with Sandy Shimoda; 5) 'Qigong' (see schedule at top of blog) with Michael Sieverts; 6) 'T'ai Chi' every Tuesday from 5 - 6pm with Marianne Lu; 7) 'Yoga' CSC has 7 yoga classes-please check website for dates and times; 8) 'Zumba' every Tuesday from 6:15 - 7pm with Alejandra Ortiz.
Always check calendar at www.cancersupportcommunitybenjamincenter.org for schedule changes or call 310-314-2555 for more infomation. CSC vallidates parking.