I'm Cured?

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My primary oncologist says, "You're cured!" I guess that's the deal with Hodgkin's. Like testicular cancer & childhood leukemia, Hodgkin's is one of the three "curable" cancers.

My radiation oncologist says, "I use the 'cured' word pretty cautiously". It doesn't really matter to me - I'm just glad I'm no longer in active treatment. Treatment is a huge grind on your time and while you're not being treated you're feeling tired and/or "like crap" all the time.

The elderly "church ladies" are thrilled at my recovery. (Like it or not, when the church ladies discover you're "afflicted" they add you to their official daily prayer requests and you become part of their "prayer job". ) When they ask me on Sundays how I'm doing I assure them that I am in fact cured (and thankful and appreciative). One in particular, Irene, delights in taking me by the arm and introducing me to others as a "walking miracle". She's right.

Whether I "stay cured" for forty years or just forty weeks is not up to me. What's up to me is to live my life now like it will be both.

No comments:

Post a Comment